22 November 2009

Prague Praha Prag

After leaving Munich I hopped on a train and headed north to the Czech Republic. The train ride was gorgeous and the city followed suit. Prague is really hilly, which was a nice change of pace. When you arrive you see different elevations and a depth you just cannot get with flat places. Wandering around, your mind goes into sensory overload. EVERY building in Prague is interesting. The detailing, the colors, the shapes, all of it! You are never bored. The unfortunate part for me was that it felt so touristy. The whole time I was there I could not get away from people with maps, English, or people trying to scam you. However unfortunate that was, the beauty of the city is undeniable.

The first day all I did was wander. I meandered down to the river and then into old town square in the evening to see some of the most beautiful buildings come alive at night. The square was pulsing with people. The buildings are stunning. No matter how bland a building looks when you get close the detail is mind blowing. I have never been so in awe of architecture before, and I have always appreciated the art!

the beautiful Vltava river and look at those buildings!




Old Town Square

After turning in early that evening I set out bright and early the next morning. I was leaving on a train at 11 pm that night and wanted to see everything I could before I left. I started out revisiting the old town square where the was a fabulous Dali exhibit (had all of the divine comedy pieces! beautiful!) and then began my walk through the castle grounds. On my way I stumbled onto a local treat with a line around the corner. For the equivalent of about one US dollar I decided I would try one...I have no idea how to say this word, but it was delicious not to mention literally made to order.


Any ideas on pronunciation?

freshly made, try one if you're there!

To get up to the castle I took a different route than usual. I went up through the vineyards instead of through old town via the Charles Bridge. I would seriously recommend this way to anyone going. I do not know if I even would have meandered over through that area if I hadn't started there. There is just so much to see! The grounds are AMAZING. There are labyrinths of gardens and these vibrant red roofs with the view of the river. Within the castle walls there is an amazing Cathedral with unique, and truly the most striking stained glass I have seen in my life. I have tons of pictures from this spot, but I tried to pick my favorites so this entry isn't too too long!
The castle views:








My path down into old town was again sensory overload. I cannot stress this enough, but EVERY BUILDING IN PRAGUE IS STUNNING. The streets also just have this lovely flow to them. The old stone and the winding, worn paths, mixed with the hills just creates warmth and beauty at every turn. Just look at this street! There are cars and tourists, yet it is still one of the most lovely sites you will see, very few places can remain charming with technology and industry, but Prague has mastered it.




I had heard of a John Lennon memorial buried in the streets of old town and was determined to find it. After walking around it in a circle for what seemed like ages, I finally found the right alley and was greeted by vibrant colors and an unending supply of Beatles' lyrics. The wall was white washed for many years until the owners finally succumb to the graffiti and now any one can come and see this memorial wall. Click on them to see more details!








My favorite quote on the wall: "Peace within yourself will set you free"


My walk down became even better has the dreary fog lifted and the sun broke through while I was crossing the Charles Bridge. This bridge has amazing statues lining the edges and towers at either end. It is one of the most recognizable land marks in eastern Europe.


Just look at how vibrant the city looks in the sunlight!





After my walk across the Charles bridge I made my way to the hostel to grab my gear and then I was onto the train station.

Next stop, Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment